ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Matt Dewkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:31:38 -0800
Yikes...  I cannot imagine the team that I saw
dominate against Denver is the loser of three
straight.  I don't get up to Orono much living in CT,
but when I left that weekend, I was pleasantly
surprised by a team that appeared to have a lot of
heart, guts, and determination to win.  It seems since
the fracas at Washburn, the team lacks focus and
desire to win.  Which, for the life of me, I can't
figure out.

I have read a lot of the posts about losing and ties
being unacceptable under Coach Walsh, and I doubted
that this was anything different under Coach
Whitehead.  Now I am not so sure.  Providence has a
good team this year, hats off to them.  But come on, a
season sweep to BU and what would appear to be an
awful effort at best tonight, what gives?  I mean how
can you not be "up" everytime you put on the Maine
sweater and step on the ice.  Especially at home.  Two
shots in the second period is absurd.  Dan Kurluke's
Bangor High team from last year may have been able to
muster two shots.  It seems we have gone from "Winning
isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing" to "You win
some, you lose some"  Not acceptable in my book.
Let's see if tomorrow we can put forth a Division I
effort.

On a superstitious note...  Alfond used to have those
painted banners that hung across the balcony, with
catchy sayings, etc.  Although I have not attented
games regularly since 2001, I don't think they have
made an appearance since we last won in 1999.  Have
they been around?  If not, I think we bring them back.
 We need all the help we can get!

Just my $.02
-Duke