ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:23:52 -0700
https://www.sunjournal.com/sports/local/20051004131.php

Black Bears look to take offensive

By Justin Pelletier, Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 4,2005
ORONO - Lack of offense has been an issue with the University of Maine
hockey team in recent years. Nowhere was that more apparent than in
2004, when the Black Bears lost 1-0 to Denver in the NCAA Championship
game.

This year, at least according to Maine head coach Tim Whitehead and
several players, it's the offense's turn to shine.

"I think we'll be a dangerous team, offensively, but again, to win down
the stretch we're going to have to be a strong team defensively," said
Whitehead. "I think we'll be an exciting team to watch, especially
given the rule changes, given that we have speed and a lot of
experience out front, and it'll be fun for the fans to see some
offensive production from us, and we're looking forward to it."

Lisbon native Greg Moore returns to Maine for his senior year and is
this year's captain. At 22, he had the option of turning pro this
summer, following his friend and former teammate Jimmy Howard, who is
now in the Detroit Red Wings' system.

"I'm happy to be here now, and we're excited to get this thing going,"
said Moore. "I think the biggest thing for us this year is going to be
our offense. We're just so deep with so many veterans back and our
speed up front, I've been watching in the captain's practices has just
been crazy. We're a real fast team and hopefully we can capitalize on
some transition areas in games and attack with our speed."

Defense and goaltending, which have been the key to many successful
years in Orono, are both young this season. Replacing Howard will be no
easy feat, but Moore feels that both Matt Lundin and Ben Bishop are
ready to give it a go.

"It's a very different team, especially defensively," said Moore.
"Bishop looks very good, obviously he's not Jimmy, though. His style is
a lot like Jimmy's, but obviously he's a bit taller and he takes up a
lot of net. Matt Lundin has always been a good goalie, and it will be
interesting to see them battle it out for time in the net."

On defense, Maine will get some help from yet another native player in
Matt Duffy, who last saw action in Maine as a member of the 2001-02
Cheverus Stags. His team that year finished second to Lewiston in a
triple-overtime state championship game.

"It's always been a dream since I was little," said Duffy, who expects
to contribute immediately as an offensive defenseman. "I got the
chance, there was no way I wasn't coming."

Joining Duffy as a rookie on the blue line is 6-foot-7-inch defenseman
Simon Danis-Pepin, who played Junior A hockey last year in Gatineau,
Quebec.

"Defensively it's going to be a challenge to duplicate what we've done
the last couple of years, but at the same time it's important to do
so," said Whitehead. "We can't just become a run-and-run team just
because we don't have an elite goaltender in the net. We have two
talented young guys, but you don't win down the stretch without solid
defense, so we're going to continue to protect our goalies like we
always have."

Up front, though, Maine returns a wealth of talent, including Moore,
fellow Maine and St. Dom's product Derek Damon, 2003-04 NCAA assist
leader Michel Leveille, Jon Jankus, Keith Johnson, Mike Hamilton, Josh
Soares, and last year's rookie breakout players Rob Bellamy and Keenan
Hopson.

"Forward-wise, we're just deep," said Moore. "We don't have a weak line
at all. Defensively it's going to be tough to cover us because you
can't really match lines up with us. We're all equally as good. I know
that our forwards are going to have to take pride in getting back on
defense, though, to help out our young defensemen and goalies. I think
overall, though, we have a great team this year."