ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
David Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:58:42 -0400
Interesting question.  Actually, while preseason articles in the fall of
2002 were enthusiastic about a "highly touted" freshman class, both the
official press release and the preview story by Chad Finn (an excellent
UMaine student reporter who is now a sportswriter/editor in New Hampshire, I
believe) spoke of the 2002-03 season as a "rebuilding year."  After all, we
had lost Hobey Bakerr winner Scott Pellerin, two-year captains Martin
Robitaille and Mike Barkley, and four other seniors (Tony Link, Randy Olson,
Steve Tepper, and Steve Widmeyer) to graduation, and Jean Yves Roy had
signed with the New York Rangers after his junior year.  With all the hoopla
about our 2003 NCAA championship, it's easy to forget that the 2001-2002
team was ranked No. 1 for most of the season and was supposed to be our
first championship team.

The incoming freshman class was notable both for quality and volume.  In
fact there were so many newcomers--10 freshmen and four red-shirts--that the
Blue-White game was Newcomers vs. Veterans (the veterans won, 8-6).  The
newcomers included 10 forwards--the Ferraro twins, Kariya, Santonelli,
Gwinn, Thompson, Clukey, Purdie, Mahoney, and Latendresse (redshirt)--two
defensemen, MacIsaac and Rodrigue (both redshirts), and two goalies, Hirsch
(redshirt) and Marsh.

In Chad Finn's preseason article, the Ferraro twins got top billing. In
fact, after half a dozen introductory paragraphs, he devotes nine paragraphs
to Peter and Chris (who, after all, were the first- and fourth-round draft
picks of the New York Rangers), before mentioning Kariya, who was the
Canadian Tier II Junior player of the year.