JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:47:37 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Rick Speer <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,
I'm pleased to announce that we've added another excellent speaker to
our line-up for this Saturday's Spring meeting: Molly Docherty, Director
of the Maine Natural Areas Program who will be speaking on the
"Conservation of Rare, Threatened and Endangered Plants in Maine."
We're trying to cover the issue of rare plant legislation and regulation
in Maine and we now have three good presenters to help us take a look at
this topic.  It should be a fun and informative program with some lively
discussion.

There is still plenty of room, if you haven't registered yet, please
show up at Chase Lounge in Chase Hall at Bates College.  Registration
for the day is $15 and that includes lunch.  For directions to Bates,
see:
http://www.bates.edu/directions.xml

Here's the tentative agenda for the day:

Josselyn Botanical Society 2003 Spring Meeting
Saturday, April 12, 2003
Chase Hall Lounge, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine

9:00 - 9:05     Welcome
Rick Speer, Corresponding Secretary, Josselyn Botanical Society
9:05 - 9:10     Opening Remarks
Sally Rooney, President, Josselyn Botanical Society

9:10 - 10:10  Plant Conservation Through Rare Species Legislation in
Massachusetts
Melissa Dow Cullina, Botanist,
Massachusetts Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program

10:10 - 11:00    Conservation of Rare, Threatened and Endangered Plants
in Maine: Where are we in 2003
Molly Docherty, Director, Maine Natural Areas Program

11:00 - 11:15   Break

11:15 - 12:05   Maine State Regulatory Agencies' Use of the Rare Plant
List
Marcia Spencer-Famous, Senior Planner, Maine Department of
Conservation

12:05 - 1:10    Lunch in the Chase Hall Dining Room

1:10 - 2:00     Fire and Invasive Plants in the Northeast and
Mid-Atlantic States
Alison Dibble, Research Ecologist, USDA Forest Service

2:00 - 3:00     Firmosses and Clubmosses of New England
Arthur Haines, Research Botanist, New England Wildflower Society

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone,

Rick Speer
Work: (207) 784-0135, ext 208
Home: (207) 783-8463