From:
Bob Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:19:29 -0400
Seems there is a commonality in a couple of issues discussed on the list.  One is the behavior of folks in the stands doing offensive cheers, etc.  My understanding is that rinks often have policies announced at the beginning of the contests so that those deemed to have been exhibiting offensive behavior can be removed from the premises.

I often wondered about this since what some may consider is offensive behavior comes from announcers, mascots, players, coaches, etc.  If a mascot is offensive could not someone complain to the rink management.  My guess is that this would get nowhere unless done in large numbers and carefully documented.  At least, it seems that those offended have an option to express their thoughts and feelings. It seems that the NCAA rules, as enforced by the referees, applies to the coaches, players and other bench staff.

In addition, it seems to me that the NCAA is on weak ground to single out a specific group instead of denying participation to those mascots, etc found to be offensive by a due process proceeding.  As it stands, they obviously have the right to create and enforce whatever rules they want for joining their club and its sanctioned events.  No organization has to be a member of the NCAA.  They are free to join another organization that is an excellent substitute at the right price including the cost of restrictions on nicknames, logos, etc.

I have not watched much hockey in person since it became a marketing driven event.  My last few times in attendance there was often a mascot tossing shirts into the stands in front of me at a critical point in the action on the ice or some other distraction.  I have chosen to watch on tv or to listen on the radio and to spend informal time with the players discussing hockey.  Or to watch club games which are all about a few sincere fans watching the action on the ice without distraction.

Since others on the list have experienced the evolution of the D1 ice hockey rink experience from its early beginnings to a well financed entertainment event, I would be interested in knowing how they see it.  By the way, what happened to all those lengthy threads on pep bands so common in the early years?