ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:21:15 -0700
Done. Deal. I guess this isn't really a big surprise, but it is a big
blow.

ORONO, Maine (AP) -- University of Maine goalie Jimmy Howard has signed
with the Detroit Red Wings and won't be returning for his senior year, the
school said Wednesday.
Howard played in 82 career games for Maine and allowed only 1.84 goals per
game during three seasons. He also had a school record of 15 shutouts.
"I have been dreaming of playing in the National Hockey League all my life
and to get one step closer to that goal is special," Howard said.
Howard said he cherishes his memories of the Alfond.
"Playing in front of the greatest fans in college hockey is something I
will never forget," he said.
Coach Tim Whithead said he was disappointed that Howard was leaving, but
also excited about Howard's prospects in the pros.
Maine opens its season Oct. 7 in the IceBreaker Tournament at Colorado
College. Its home opener is a week later against the defending national
champion, Denver.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs