ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"D. B. Doucette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:29:57 -0500
Basically, to move up now to the minimum 14th necessary to be off the PWR
bubble, it seems likely Maine cannot lose to anyone the remaider of the
regular season.

Providence:  any loss would be devastating, given that PC is so bad this year.
Lowell:  good thing this is an Alfond series, Lowell is better now than when
Maine played them at the Tsongas.  So, I think 7 or 8 points are certainly
possible before the trip to Conte Forum.

It is not good to be playing the final two at BC, especially with a student
body pumped due to arena's other occupant holding a ticket punched for entry
into March Madness (a 1-seed is ready for them if they do not collapse).  If
Matti is on his game, Jerry of the shortened bench could very well relish
the opportunity to knock Maine back into needing ALL auto-bid wins in the HE
tournament.

BC could be another team poised to win one "for Boston" in an incredible run
by the local professional and college teams over the last year.  If you
think they won't trot out former football Eagles with Super Bowl rings to
motivate the BC hockey players on the stretch run ...then you don't know how
they do things at the Heights.  The NC$$ just salivates over cross-promotion
with hockey and squeakball, also.  Does CBS get the next Super Bowl telecast
?

Bad me for predicting a Maine loss last Friday night.  On TV anyway, they
looked as fast getting to the puck as any squad I've seen from the Black
Bears in some time, the wide rink may have been a great help to them in
that, while New Hampshire looked very slow.  Nice to see Maine winning
faceoffs also.  Maine on Friday looked as though they could run easily
through some teams to go deep into the Round of 16.

Maine on Saturday looked as though they would be ready to ask for some of my
group's extra seats in the stands at Columbus, and thumb a ride with those
of us driving there.

It should be interesting whether The Ohio State University is trying to peak
and get one invitie to stay home in the month of April, also.

Lindsay and I will be helping to finish off the Sierra Nevada Celebration
left over from last night's keg, whilst watching the Beanpot games this
evening.  Maine needs (gasp) BC and Northeastern to win tonight I think, but
it is the most competitive four teams in there in many years.

Enjoy the week off...we all need it.