From:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:56:39 -0600
A little "Rah Rah!" about my beloved hometown...

Read the entire column at:

http://www.pioneerplanet.com/columnists/docs/POWERS/docs/217524.htm

-Indy
Embracing hockey is a capital idea
TOM POWERS - (St. Paul) Pioneer Press Columnist

This Sunday morning's reading is from the letter of St. Paul to the
Hockeyophites:
"Lo, as we kept the faith during the trying times, we now receive our just
rewards. We are the great city. In the state of hockey, we truly are the
capital."

Trust me, those verses are in there. I think they're somewhere between the
locusts biting Pharaoh and someone coveting his neighbor's wife.

Anyway, in the 1 1/2 years since the NHL resumed play in Minnesota, St. Paul
has emerged as America's premier hockey city. It has happened right under
our noses, and we almost didn't notice.

Detroit and Boston? Yesterday's cornflakes. If it has to do with hockey, and
it's important, whether it's the Lester Patrick Awards or the U.S. Hockey
Hall of Fame induction ceremony, it probably will be held in St. Paul.

In addition to the Wild being a sensation, St. Paul also has been host to or
will host many other major events. There is the state tournament, of course.
And there's the NCAA Frozen Four in April and the WCHA Final Five.