EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:37:32 -0400
There is a strain in Pound scholarship which sets out to show he was not
a careful philologist. To some extent that's called for. I happen to
think that Pound's translation of The Seafarer has done harm in giving
modern readers the impression that crashing consonants and thumping
rhythms are characterisitic of Anglo-Saxon poetry. They are not. But
when seen in the light of his attempts to find new (or recover old)
energetic modes of eloquent vulgar expression, his exaggerations and
misguided notions have their own validity of purpose.

For Pound, the etymological meaning of a word could contribute to the
logopeia of the poem. The man-in-the-street never thinks about etymology
and probably does not know what etymology is or that language changes.
But from the point of view of a poet who is attempting to revive
features of an ancient tradition, it doesn't matter if his notions about
a writing system be arcane,  just as it doesn't matter if Isidore of
Seville's etymologies are bunkum to the historical linguist: however
misguided these notions were, they became bona fide ways of signifying
and encoding meaning.  Did any ancient Japanese poets have a similar
appreciation for the mimesis in the ideograms?

Pound focuses on the rudiments of the writing system because his quest
was to work  back to first principles, to the bedrock of meaning and
signification. This "back-to-bedrock" strain in Pound's nascent theory
of language-in-society also finds expression in his harsh criticism of
statements made by the economist Keynes.  Pound's focus on the elements
of the ideogram, his strict constructionism with regard to the US
constitution, his attacks of economists for saying things that are
not...these are all facets of the same quest for language marked by
profound simplicity, clarity, and vigor. Maybe a quixotic goal, but a
colossal error, not.

Tim Romano