ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"D. B. Doucette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:28:35 -0500
Well, doesn't 16-1 SOG advantage for Maine in the third period tell us a
little about how they (finally) opened up their offense last night against
the UMass Red Riot.  Add to that tally a 1-4 success on the power play, and
we can now see how Maine SHOULD be taking it to the rest of the league from
this point forward.

Coach said in pre-game on WZON he wanted 30 shots, that's what he got, but
it was the margin that was most telling.  Glad he also recognized that they
needed to get more up the mid-slot (third circle) above the crease...they
were NOT going to the front of the net much in recent games, either being
forced to the boards by the defence or choosing on their own for set plays
wheeling mostly from the board side of the faceoff dots.  Leveille being
back must certainly have helped last night (hard to tell about his
playmaking ability from the radio feed, though).

Let's face it, though, the two Mass. state schools are NOT that good this
year, seems UML was vastly overrated (maybe next year, Blaise).

Providence may be more a test than we think in Portland, given their tie
last night against BC.  Boy, are the Eagles in a rut.

Hey, look who is atop HE standings right now !!  Does Jackie Parker know how
to sandbag, or what ?  It looked like a clinic last night on TV seeing their
manhandling of Lowell.

Great night for TV viewing down here, with both the NESN game on and Ch. 11
showing the game from the Whit.  I was juggling those PLUS the WZON Internet
feed and listening to Sarandis broadcast of Maine v. Boston College hoops.

However, I did miss the fight from Detroit, when an NBA game broke out.

Dan