ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:02:37 -0700
(from infobeat..)

Tocchet draws two-game suspension for injuring Pellerin

  (AP) - Rick Tocchet of the Phoenix Coyotes drew a two-game
  suspension from the NHL on Tuesday, bringing to nine the total
  number of games he has been penalized this season. Tocchet was
  also fined $1,000 for his latest infraction, a high-sticking
  attack involving Scott Pellerin of the St. Louis Blues on April
  11. Tocchet was assessed a match penalty for deliberate injury on
  the play, during which he hit Pellerin in the mouth. Tocchet
  already served one game of the suspension, having missed a game
  Sunday. To complete it, he sat out the Coyotes' 2-1 home win on
  Tuesday night against Detroit.

  Tocchet was in a feisty mood before his punishment was announced.
  "I'm not thinking very positive things right now about the NHL
  office," he told the Arizona Republic, adding, "I mean the guy
  only got a fat lip. I just slapped him a bit with my stick. Of
  course it's going to look a lot worse in slow motion." The
  Coyotes forward has already been suspended two games for kneeing
  Ryan Smyth of the Edmonton Oilers and five games for kneeing
  Steve Yzerman of the Red Wings.