ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Adam Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:45:59 -0500
You make some great points - the only one of which I will argue is the
"knowledgeable" part when speaking of the fans as a single entity.  We all
know that in the Alfond, the majority of the noise (when it's there) comes
from the balcony where the students are.  Unfortunately, many students will
yell when something goes against Maine, no matter what it is.

I spent a lot of time up there (not as much recently, having graduated and
given that my season tickets are at the other end of the arena), but I'd say
the "knowledgeable fans" are easily in the minority up there.  Not to insult
anyone, but there were plenty of times where a Maine player would simply
lose an edge and go into the boards, and most of the fans would scream for a
whistle.

It's almost irritating to be a knowledgeable hockey fan surrounded by so
many people that really won't pay attention to the rules unless it's in
Maine's favor.

As for whether or not they are influenced by fans, I would like to think
they aren't - because they shouldn't be, but in the end I have a feeling
refs at all levels are influenced by outside sources.  It's like in the NHL
when the whistle is put away late in a game or in OT.  Sometimes it's the
fans, sometimes it's the coaches, sometimes the circumstances in the game.
Either way, I'm sure they aren't always making calls just because it's the
right call.  Personally, I'd rather them miss a call than make one because a
fan encouraged them to.