ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:17:56 -0800

>   BC's ability to get to the front of the net and score on their own
> rebounds was really what gave BC the sweep last weekend.  (so even
> though you do not know what you are talking about, it seems, neither
> do I and we agree completely)  Ben has got to learn not to leave so
> many pucks 12 feet in front of the net.  Minnesota did not capitalize
> on their rebounds, and neither did Oshie and Toewes for UND.  BC did,
> Lowell and Merrimack did not.   whatever problems Wilson might have,
> leaving 12 foot rebounds does not seem to be one of them.

Didn't Wilson allow the first four goals at BC?

Maybe I don't have a large enough sample size, but the games that I
have seen on TV with Wilson, he seems to leave his share of rebounds
too and goes down way too early.

Bishop is not perfect by far either.

In another edition of Hindsight 20-20, I wonder if Whitehead has done a
disservice to the team by not giving Wilson meaningful playing time
before Bishop got hurt.  In general, I tend to agree with how Whitehead
has approached his goaltenders in years past where he would split them
until the end and go with the guy he feels gives you the best chance to
win.  (Even if we didn't always agree with the "chosen one".)

The more I think about the worse I feel about the decision to start
Bishop in both games this weekend vs. Merrimack.  I mean, Wilson's
problems aside, didn't he at least earn one start this weekend vs. one
of the worst teams in the league?  Also, didn't I read somewhere coming
into the weekend that Bishop admitted he wasn't 100%?

Huge mistake potentially and now we may go into the playoffs with a
very inexperienced goaltender.  Wilson may be a fine goaltender as Bob
says, but I wish he had a few more key games under his belt before the
playoffs start.  Of course, this is also the kind of thing that legends
are made of.

That's my two cents for now.

-Deron