ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:29:51 -0400
As many of you have noticed, the originating mail in this thread has a
virus in it (Foto.zip, which has calc.exe in it).  It is not safe to run
the contents.

For what it's worth,

* the list owner can block an IP or e-mail address from posting, but its
not called for in this case, since ...

* the sender was "spoofed", that is, it didn't really come from our
subscriber.

* the virus/Trojan Horse (Download.Ject.C) made it through *2* mail
scanners yesterday before being distributed.

* in this case, you are not at risk if you simply viewed your mail, no
matter what your mail program settings.

* if you opened the foto.zip file and ran the calc.exe file, you have a
mess to clean up (and should run to your nearest community college and
sign up for "Life on the Internet 101"). ;-)

* just minutes after this made it through, the mail scanners were
stopping this variant.

* as the LISTSERV  techie, I've removed the attachment from the
ME-Hockey archives.

* I'm impressed that so many of you are wary of such dangers and have
such good practices.  Congratulations!

cheers, wayne