ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"D. B. Doucette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:00:53 -0400
In a previous posting concerning a possible Regional location in a proposed
new Portland arena, Maine's AD was quoted in a BDN article as follows:

Nero also said he would like to see New York City's Madison Square Garden
place a bid to host the Frozen Four.  "That would be a great place," said Nero.

While in Columbus, I met a member of the committee who have submitted a bid
to the NCAA to host an upcoming Frozen Four in our nation's Capital.  I came
away from this conversation very impressed with their organization,
extensive planning, and already know personally the overall attractiveness
of Washington DC as a host city.

It is not known if there is indeed a bid in from New York/MSG, let alone
whether it has put the elements in place to the extent the DC group already
has.  The host school for the DC bid, incidentally, is the Naval Academy,
who will elevate to Div. 1 in hockey in a couple of years time, before the
FF games.  Who has Madison Square Garden partnered with as host ?  Does Mr.
Nero know ?

I think the NCAA in these days of increased governmental scrutiny of sport
at all levels needs positive visibility in Washington more than in the
"media capital of the world", trying to pander to outlets who offer barely a
mention of college hockey other than during the Frozen Four.

If the NHL were not on strike, do you really think we would have gotten the
duo of Thorne and Clement to call the game on ESPN Saturday night ?

Even in some parts of Columbus, Ohio, this weekend the Frozen Four fans were
secondary to a volleyball tournament, horse show, and weddings in some local
hotels.  Would NYC offer a better welcome with "only" 17,000 fans added to
town ?

I would encourage Mr. Nero if he reads this to support the DC host site bid
instead of New York City.  If our readers have a chance to speak with Mr.
Nero, please also tell him to support the DC bid for the Frozen Four.

Thank you.