ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:29:02 -0500
James,

I'm sorry but now you have accused me of something I know absolutely
nothing about, and you also don't know me!  I know nothing about the
John Sabo incident and yelling at him, and would not endorse that
conduct.  I am in attendance at most every road game in New England
(save UMASS) and only a four in Alfond.  At one time I used to call the
Maine games on the radio for the college station (WMEB) and I continue
to write an article or two each year for the Friends of Maine Hockey
Newsletter.

In my 24 years of following college hockey I have seen a transformation
on the cheer front, from original to the universal s-u-c-k cheers.
Again Maine does not participate and remains original.  I have not
heard cheers from the student section at Maine that I have found
offensive, but I am not at every game.  There are always a small
minority that are unsportsmanlike, but that's life.

You hold BU up as the very best-yet there cheer for most everything
ends in BC Sucks.  BU students were over the top on going after Shawn,
and when Brendan was a Black Bear after being a Terrier they held signs
that read "Walsh can you read this" or "Have another Beer" actually it
was funny, original, but one would think by your standards not showing
the best sportsmanship.

I have been known over the years (though I have mellowed) to get on a
referee's case, but never on a Maine player, or an opposing player,
unless you feel calling Keith Tkachuk K-Cheap Tkachuk being
unsportsmanlike or calling a goalie a sieve.

In the future I would ask that you not make wild accusations about how
I thought it was classy to yell at John Sabo about a felony when it is
categorically false.  The people on this board who know me know better
than that, but for those who do not and read pieces I have written for
the FOMH Newsletter it takes credibility away.

It's the Holiday Season lighten up, but I would appreciate it if you
would not slander me on this board again!

Bob Fitta
UMaine '83

Bob Fitta
Director of Advertising