ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jon Eggert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:57:17 -0400
 Just a few more comments about this past weekend. The 1st period friday
night was as awful as it gets. No flow, no passing, it was brutal to watch.
With a minute left in the period Maine picked it up and from that point on
it was ok.
Saturdays game was fun to watch. Maine played well, they broke the puck out
better and seemed more confident right from the start.

I agree with Wayne that Matt lacks physical strength that accomplished
goalies have but he looks to be a keeper.  That first real save on a clean
breakaway was awesome. It was 5 hole all the way and Matt closed it up like
a pro. As I'm right behing him for 2 periods I had a chance to watch him get
more and more confident. By the 3rd period he was out 4 or 5 feet from the
crease playing the angles just like you'd want him to.

 I think Damon may be our only pure sniper. He has an eye for the net
 The difference in Josh Soares from last year to this year is night and day.
Tremendous strides over the summer in  speed.
 I'll bet Tyler had more minutes than any one else Saturday night. Not bad
for a freshman.
 I think the loss of Dustin Penner has really hurt this team in the short
run.

  The losses to UND are going to be good things before this season is over.
It definitely hurts PWR but it showed the team something and what to strive
for.

  Jon