ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:42:37 -0400
The Maine Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I've agreed with that all along.  I just don't

>cotton to people who think this team or this program or this University

>"owes" something to people who weren't on the bandwagon when the team won 12
>games in a season -- but sure do want to be "seen with the winners" now that

>they are a dominant college hockey team.

For the most part I agree with what you have been saying Nonni, and I am in Orono now, but I know plenty of alumni in Portland that, frankly were not here when the team won 12 games in a season.  I am sure the "YOUNG" Alumni in Portland are the
largest demographic of people who are Maine Alumni in Portland area.  And so they should be penalized because we were in middle school/high school when the team was bad?

Not all fans of Maine Hockey are graduates of this university from 1985 and before.  Those of us that have come along since the team has been good are just as deserving of seeing games too.  Its just as much our team too.  And in fact, how do you
lay the ground work for more donors in the future? You don't do it by ignoring a large fanbase in the State's biggest city.  These fans (younger) don't necessarily have the resources to get to Orono to see a game during the season and I don't think
a game or 2 per season is such a bad thing, especially if they are timed around school breaks (columbus day, thanksgiving, new years).

I love the Alfond as much as anyone but I think we all know that the intensity in there for Alabama-Huntsville and for UNH are not the same and playing AH in Portland wouldn't be that bad if it meant some more donor dollars along the way.  We are
all selfish Maine Hockey fans and want to see as many games as we can (see all the talk about tv coverage) but we are also reasonable people too and know that big games/opponents should be played in Orono to give the boys the best chance to win as
possible.  I don't think any Hockey East games should be played in Portland but I don't see the big deal about playing a team from ECAC/CHA/AHA there.

I am sorry I have only really been able to claim this team as mine since I set foot on campus in 1996.  My attendance at Alfond started while Coach Walsh was suspended and the Alfond was about half-3/4 full.  Hopefully that means I get counted in
the future as one "that survived the rough spots" so that I will considered worthy enough of still being a fan.  I don't ever think the University will "owe me" anything.  But if I was in Portland/Southern Maine I would certainly appreciate a game
or two each year and it MIGHT make me want to do more to help the university down the road.

End of rant.
-Jake