ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:57:29 -0400
As first reported here, Billy Ryan will be eligible to play at Maine in
December.

--
http://www.bangornews.com

By Larry Mahoney, Of the NEWS Staff e-mail Larry
Last updated: Thursday, September 9, 2004
Recruit seeks an early start
Ryan may join Bears after first semester

The University of Maine  men's hockey program will gain a talented recruit a
semester early.Billy Ryan, a third-round draft pick of the New York Rangers
who verbally committed to attend Maine beginning next fall, is taking four
classes at Maine that will enable him to become eligible after the first
semester this season.

He attended Cushing Academy (Mass.) last year and originally planned to
return there.

"Before the draft, the Rangers asked me if I would be willing to go to Maine
a year early and I agreed to it," said Ryan, the 80th overall pick.

"I'm glad I'm doing it. I want to be on this team and, hopefully, we can win
a national championship. It's exciting," added the 18-year-old Ryan, who had
35 goals and 55 assists in 37 games at Cushing.

Ryan took two courses at Quincy (Mass.) Community College over the summer to
work toward the completion of his course requirements at Cushing, and the
courses he is taking at Maine will allow him to graduate from the prep
school.

Maine coach Tim Whitehead said the school has petitioned the NCAA to seek a
waiver allowing Ryan to practice and play immediately "but it's a bit of a
long shot."

If the waiver is denied, Ryan still would be eligible beginning Dec. 28 at
the Everblades Classic in Estero, Fla., as long as he successfully completes
the four courses he is taking.

Ryan was one of the league leaders in points last year and said, "there was
no reason to go back and play against kids younger than me."

Whitehead said Ryan will be a "great addition.

"It'll be like trading for an elite player midway through the season," said
Whitehead. "He is an elite skater with excellent hockey sense and playmaking
ability. He has great stamina. He can go out shift after shift and play at a
high level. He loves to play and is very comfortable in traffic."

Ryan, the younger brother of former Northeastern University star and
second-round NHL draft pick Mike Ryan (Dallas 1999), said he is looking
forward to the challenge.

"Things are going great. I love it up here," said Ryan.