ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Ruth D'Este <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:38:48 -0500
Hello,

My sister in law, who lives in southern New Jersey, forwarded this article that appeared in the local newspaper.  Its always nice to see Maine grads getting to play at the next level. A great piece about a super guy who seems to have "a good head on his shoulders."  Enjoy!

Local product pursuing pro hockey career

Saturday, January 24, 2004

By Chris Kaiser

Gray Shaneberger has an abundance of career options. The Washington Township High School graduate holds a bachelors degree in Natural Resources from the University of Maine and is only 14 credits short of a Masters in Ecology and Environmental Science.

But those are only backup plans as the 23-year-old has already embarked on his ultimate career goal -- playing in the National Hockey League.

After spending four years playing at the collegiate level, which included a trip to the 2002 National Championship, Shaneberger signed a free-agent contract with the Florida Everblades, the ECHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes, in the summer.

Shaneberger was first discovered after Maine won the Everblades College Classic in 2002 and he was named tournament MVP.

"After seeing me play at the Everblades tournament, that's how this whole thing started," Shaneberger said. "I talked about it with (Maine) Coach (Tim) Whitehead. (Everblades team president/general manager Craig Brush) expressed interest, and I jumped on it."

The Everblades stand at 22-12-7, good for second in the Eastern Conference Southern Division, heading into Friday's game against Pensacola. Shaneberger has registered 10 goals, including three game-winners, eight assists and is plus-1 for the year.

As with most rookies, his scoring numbers have increased as he has gained more game experience.

"We were 12 games in and I was held without a single point," Shaneberger said. "I scored my first goal in Long Beach. It was a pretty nice goal. We won the face-off, I took it down and found the top shelf. It was a good feeling. The points have started to come in the last 15 games."

Shaneberger's journey started back in his original hometown in Vermont. He moved to New Jersey at the age of 13 and played club hockey with the Junior Flyers.

A career in hockey was first envisioned at the age of 17.

"My senior year of high school, I was playing with the Junior Flyers and we had a really good team, we went to nationals," Shaneberger said. "I was getting recruited by colleges and Maine stood out to me. That's when I knew it was getting serious."

That vision has become a reality, and although it's not the big show quite yet, Shaneberger wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

"Every couple days I think, 'Wow this is what I want to do,'" Shaneberger said. "I'm on the right road. I'm happy with what I'm doing. Things are good.

"It's a fulfilling feeling, that's for sure. All the time you put into it, all the hours you spend, and to be happy in life, it's a great feeling."

Despite hours upon hours of working to perfect his skill, it's not practice or Coach Whitehead that Shaneberger credits as his main inspiration. Sure, they've played their part, but it's been the endless devotion from his mother that has landed him on a professional hockey team.

"My mom never missed a college game, even when we played in Alaska," Shaneberger said. "She's a school teacher and I have games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, so she can't take off to follow me. But she listens to every game online. She's always been there for me, driving me at 4 or 5 in the morning to games. She's the reason I'm here pursuing what I want to do."

In a career that can wilt as quick as it can blossom, Shaneberger won't take anything for granted. He's got options, he's got a good head on his shoulders and for now, he's got the opportunity to chase a childhood dream.

"I'm just going to go until I stop having fun," Shaneberger said. "Right now I'm having a great time. I'll go as long as I can.

"I've always wanted to do this. It was good for me, I got to go to school and get a degree. It's good to have that in your back pocket, it's important. Some guys don't have that luxury."

http://www.nj.com/sports/gloucester/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/107493963678310.xml