ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Adam Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:45:40 -0500
Greeting Maine Hockey List readers.  I rarely make a post to this
conference, but due to this weekend's enormous hockey east games I feel
the time has come to tell you all a little story about why I hate UNH...

It was about a year ago when Maine traveled to the Whit to take on UNH
for a pair of weekend hockey games.  Like most of you, I am a huge fan,
and decided to travel down to enjoy what should have been some exciting
hockey.  As you all know Maine got spanked both nights by the Wildcats
so the exciting hockey was not in the cards.  As devastating as those
two loses were, it was what happened to me in the Whitmore Center
during the first game that left much deeper emotional (and physical)
scars.  After the first period I decided to take a walk over to the
student section to say hello to my younger brother who used to attend
UNH (he transferred to UMO this year because UNH is such a lousy
school).  I was accompanied my my good buddy Jeremy Ferris who also
wanted to say hello to my brother and take a look at the rowdy Student
section the Whit possess.  We found my brother in the first row on the
edge of the isle separating the student section from the regular fans.
We began walking down the isle to our destination.  We were about half
way down when our Maine T-shirts were spotted.  Immediately insults
were screamed at as and people gave us the finger.  One student even
threatened to kill me.  We tried to ignore them, but as we got closer
to my brother's seat the hostility from the crown increased.  Soon
objects began hurdling towards us at tremendous speeds.  Anything these
manic fans could get their hands on was immediately whipped in our
direction.  We tried to shield our faces with our arms but that left
our bodies open to be pelted.  I heard Jeremy scream in pain as he was
struck hard by a stick of deodorant.  God only knows why they had
deodorant at the game.  It was then I realized our safety was in great
jeopardy.  Apparently saying hello to my younger brother was not going
to happen on this night.  I told Jeremy that we should could clear out
of the section and we began our march up the stairs.  I was hit in the
head by a speeding hockey puck and was dazed for a second.  When I came
back to, I was faced by a few tough Fraternity guys who wanted to
fight.  We told them we were leaving but they thought it would be more
fun to push us around a bit we first.  We turned our back to them to
walk up the rest of the stairs and they began pushing from behind all
the way up.  Both us fell on the hard concrete stairs as a result of
the pushing.  Finally we reached the exit of the student section where
we were instantly surrounded by the Whitmore security.  Unfortunately,
the security team was not there to protect us, instead they decide to
mock us and push around a bit too.  After breaking away from them we
returned to our seats where we watched the rest of the game in fear.
        Obviously this was a horrible and somewhat traumatic experience for me
and my friend Jeremy.  We both decided that most of UNH's fans worship
the devil hence their sadistic treatment towards us.  We hope this
weekend the stands will be filled (especially the student section) with
rabid Black Bear fans that are ready to cheer VERY loudly for their
team.  It's time to show the rest of hockey east just how intimidating
the Alfond can be!  This weekend we have a chance to reap vengeance
upon a high talent, yet low class organization  GO MAINE!!!.