ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 13:18:36 -0400
I think what everyone needs to realize is that these kids lifelong
dream is to play in the NHL.  Dustin has a huge upside, he has great
hands, throws off checks, and most importantly he has size.  Anaheim
realized that by making an offer now they would put themselves in a
better position, rather than bidding next year with several teams
especially if he had a big season.  Dustin gets a 3 year contract, and
avoids the risk of a subpar season or an injury next year having an
impact on his value.

Ever since Mario Thyer came back after his freshman year, turning aside
a number of suitors, only to break his leg in the 2nd or 3rd game of
the year I have never criticized a player for leaving early.  Guys have
to do what is best for them, they can always finish their education
later.

Dustin was a joy to watch, he would have been an enormous cog in the
wheel next year, personally I think we will be seeing him in the NHL in
the next year or two.

Bob Fitta '83