ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 20:38:43 -0400
From: "Voisine, Cory" <[log in to unmask]>

> I believe Demaniuk's son played for UMass-Amherst.
>
> Also, I remember a 20 year reunion pre-game celebration in the fall of
2003.
> Is that right? My recollection is foggy. But I thought Demaniuk was there.
> As was a bunch of the old-timers. Wasn't Aubut's son there to accept an
> award? And wasn't Gary Thorne there to talk to the crowd. I think they
tied
> that in with the announcment of the Shawn Walsh Hockey Center Donation
Fund?
> Does this ring a bell with anyone else.

Yes, Cory, Bill's son plays for UMA.

The celebration you remember was recognizing a donation that Artie Demoulas
made in Andre Aubut's name to the Shawn Walsh Center Campaign, in addition
to one Artie had made to the Wes Jordan Athletic Training Center Campaign.
Andre's widow, Manon, and their two children were there.  Max (son) spoke on
behalf of the family.  Bill Demaniuk, Dan Sweeney, Mark Son, Artie, Gary
Conn, Gary Thorne all were here -- I know I am missing a couple of names
when I write those, too.

There is a reunion in the summer of every other year in odd-numbered years
and all of the men who played for Maine are invited -- to the best of the
hockey office's ability to keep current addresses, and that is not an easy
task.  There's a big cookout, an alumni game and fan session, a golf
tournament ...

Believe me, there are people who go out of their way to try and keep
everyone involved with the program for the past 27 years informed on how the
program is doing.  This past season, for the first time, Coach Perron sent a
weekly e-newsletter to all the alumni for whom the office has email
addresses, letting them know how the team is doing and what is new with the
program.  All those receiving the newsletter were encouraged to forward it
to teammates and ask them to send their email addresses back to the office
to be put on the list.

I personally know how much Patrick Nero has done to reach out to the
original team (the 1977-81 years) ... in addition, it was most unfortunate
that Shawn died in the 25th year of the program or there would have been a
huge celebration of that milestone and recognition of the players who made
everything happen from Day One.

Those with long memories certainly haven't forgotten that first team and the
fact that they made happen what we now enjoy ... if they feel "left out",
it's not because a lot of people aren't trying to keep them informed and a
part of everything Maine Hockey is and always has been!  All they need to do
is make sure we know how to reach them with mail and email.
Nonni