ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:13:49 -0500
> The Maine Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >Does anyone know how HE breaks up the semis at the fleet?  If 1-4 wins
the quarters, does 1 v 4 play the night cap while 2 v 3 plays the supper
time game?  Want to grab my tix for the semi's, but not going to take the 5
yo to the late game!  BTW,
> >only balcony left for the semis.  I checked while at the B's game last
night.

> Seems that in the past they put Maine in the second game so more time for
fans to travel down, but mostly its "what's going to get the biggest crowds
to the Fleet" situation so no set rules.

> -jake

Just for historical purposes: when the league formed, then commissioner Lou
Lamoriello asked the member schools to pay an annual fee to get things
started and the league would do everything it could to become
self-sustaining.  In my experience, that has been the case for the last 18
years.  Hockey East tries to make its operating costs through merchandising,
equipment contracts and the tournament so that they can keep to the promise
not to have member schools pay an annual membership fee.  I am not
absolutely sure this is still the case, but can remember hoping (early
1990s) that Maine and New Hampshire would make it to the tournaments I ran,
because they brought a ton of fans -- great atmosphere in the old Garden and
lots of cash in the league pocketbook!
Nonni