ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:41:58 -0500
Nero now confirmed he has nearly completed the task of ramping up the
business end of the UMaine program to the levels of the other larger schools
he is most familiar with.  It is, however, the "shock of the new" for many
Maine fans.  Welcome to the big time.

Rest assured, the $$ link forged between alumni giving and ticket preference
in a school's signature sport is NOT unique to Maine.  The "official" sports
website story where this link is most obvious for Frozen Final tickets is
just a very blunt explanation to perhaps a large group of naieve Maine
followers who perhaps never realized that it could, indeed, happen here.
It's the sports fan's version of learning there IS no Santa Claus.

Any of you fortunate to snag Frozen Final tix, talk to other teams'
supporters you see on the FleeCenter concourses.  Ask about ticketing
preferences in the other big hockey schools and about their other programs
that might have things like Personal Seat licenses for basketball, or
football ticket practices at schools like Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

One wonders, though, how the magical $ 10K figure we will all no doubt talk
about was calculated by Nero for Maine.

Gang, I'm not a cynic (some think I am), but a realist.  I can be a fan, yet
look at the business side of hockey at the same time.  Fascinating, really.

Weekend game analysis and such coming...I just want to read more before
commenting - would rather not go over well-trodded grounds, but add some new
ideas if they hadn't already been explored.

One hint -- my concern, after reading Albany faceoff stats, is growing larger.

Dan