ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:35:26 -0500
PPH: Doyle gets a relief victory to remember
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/040327umnotes.shtml

GLOBE:  Maine frame
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/03/27/maine_frame/

USCHO:  Deja vu: Maine Stuns Harvard on Moore's Winner
http://www.uscho.com/recaps/20032004/m/03/26/hu-me.php

(Note:  VERY disappointing that USCHO has done no features relating to the
comeback, but hey there is a nice Dov Grumet-Morris piece and an article
on Wisconsin.)

A couple other pieces of info from another Globe article:
Facts of Harvard life Harvard coach Mark Mazzoleni meant no offense, he
said, when asked about the effect of midterm exams this week on his team's
performance in the NCAA Tournament, but in comparing Crimson players with
their Maine opponents, he quipped: "Higher grade-point average, higher
board scores."

Then, elaborating on the rigors of Harvard academics, he said: "I've found
in my five years the professors at Harvard are more accommodating than any
place I've ever been. They even let me proctor exams. I've never had that
anywhere else."

Harvard gives players "the best of both worlds," said Mazzoleni. "Sooner
or later, you're going to have to hang up the skates and go back on that
education . . . There are a lot of programs out there now that have the
best rinks and the best that, but there isn't anyone who has a Harvard
education. I'm not saying that boastfully, it's a fact of life."

Going the distance

Buses from the state of Maine brought 4,000 fans to Albany, N.Y., a city
not unlike Bangor, Maine, according to some.

"A lot of us would be at this game if they were playing it in China," said
Mary Rosewell, as she and her friends walked the makeshift amusement and
food mall outside Pepsi Arena before Maine faced off against Harvard. "It
may be a long way here [seven hours from Orono] but at least there are
plenty of seats here so we can get in. That doesn't happen everywhere."