ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:24:42 -0800
I'm very proud of the Maine team after taking 3 of 4 points from BU over
the weekend.  One thing that I try to remind myself of constantly is that
Maine has a very young team and they are not the same experienced crew
that won the national championship in 1999 or went to the Frozen Four last
year.  While we have experience in some areas like Matt Yeats between the
pipes, we do not have the same experience in all areas.

While not "writing off" this year, I look forward to next season when I
think Maine will be very good.

Here are some random thoughts from me on this weekend, in no particular
order:
- Lucas Lawson has some jets.  Great goal by Lawson on Saturday and has he
refines his ability to finish he will be one of the best players in the
league I think.

- Maine finally got some "puck luck" Saturday night in the third period
when a loose puck was coralled by Niko and he beat the defenseman
(covering the net) five-hole for the game winning goal.  Maine was
victimzed twice this weekend on freak bounces.  Friday, the game tying
goal for BU was deflected in by Doug Janik and Saturday night BU tied the
game in the second period on a goal deflected in by Dan Kerluke.  When you
struggle to score goals like Maine, these things become magnified.

- I spoke of the "young" nature of Maine above.. I thought Saturday night
we saw Maine start to learn some of the important lessons.  After blowing
a 3-1 lead on Friday, Maine was able to close the deal Saturday after
taking the 2-1 lead in the third period.

- Maine's defense continued to play strong.  I was very impressed with the
play of Francis Nault.  He was good on both ends of the ice and I like his
offensive instincts.  He could develop into a Jeff Tory-type defenseman I
think.

- Simply put Maine had to win Saturday and they did.  Home ice advantage
is still within their grasp.  We've heard about this brutal 7-game
schedule, well through four of the games we are 1-1-2.  If we finish at or
above .500 after the UNH game Feb. 4, that is terrific.  It would be great
to get a split at BC in two weeks.  While BC spanked Maine 7-2 earlier
this season, BC is not unbeatable.  BU beat them and UML gave them all
they could handle the other night too.

- I agree with Shawn Walsh that no one will want to play Maine in the
playoffs, especially once we get to the one-game variety.  The Black Bears
create so many chances, and while they struggle to finish at times, do you
want to take the chance that those will start going in?  That said, a
Maine/BU quarterfinal series in Orono or Boston would be a war, these were
two tough games this weekend, though overall I think Maine was the better
team.

- I continue to be disappointed in some of our fans.  It is amazing to me
that on both nights (both one goal games at the time) that once the 50-50
drawing was held people get up and leave.  Not only is it a close game,
but it's against BU!  But this happens all the time against everyone.
Thanks to all those who stayed.

- Finally... Maine athletic department needs to make a decision.  Either
do a better job promoting and encouraging your Wear White games/weekends,
or discontinue this.  This has been done for what, 3 or 4 straight years
and each year it's hardly been a "white-out" so-to-speak.  I thought this
year was especially disappointing because even with the $10 sweaters, and
pom-poms, the arena only had a dusting instead of a blizzard.  I think a
better job can be done promoting this, or offering something to those who
enter the arena in white... or maybe its time to try a different promotion
next year.  IMHO, it's been a disappointment every year to this point.

That's my .02 !!

-dt