ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:12:02 -0500
> However, I do not need "fresh eyes" to see him clearly.

the point was that if people only see Maine games either at Orono or away,
but fail to see other games... e.g. Merrimack at N.U.  then you do not see
Black Bearless games, and you do not see that college hockey can be played a
different way...take my word for it if you will... but the game is very
different when Maine is involved.

and the spectacle that Walse always displays is pretty amazing compared to
most other coaches.

Your attitude of "I am a ref, so I know
> more and see more than all the rest of you" is insulting.  I have watched
> college hockey, refs and all, for twenty some odd years, and would have to
be
> brain dead to not have a d------d good idea what's going on at any given
> time.

and if you have never refereed a game, then you are missing an element that
you cannot possible know.
it is a completely differnt game once you have skated for the "third team
onthe ice"

I never said I Knew anything any better than anyone else.
however I would also not say that HE refs were worse than other conference's
refs... until I had seen them for myself...the worst ref I have ever seen is
Harry Ammian.. and he got named to do at least one National Championshi[p
game... the worst linesmen I have ever seen are 2 new ones in HE right
now... I will give you that one...(and sorry, I do not trust the opinions of
the players... they see the HE refs many times ... so they build up
hatred...or animosity....and they see the WCHA refs once...and the referees
in juniors do not call anything that would be less that a  felony onthe
street)

also realize taht he refs are told what to do by the coaches on the
committees who tell em what to do....like call that petty crap at teh
beginning of the season ... and then they are told not to call teh petty
crap at teh end of the season... the inconsistency is handed down from walsh
and parker... to name 2 coaches...

sorry if I was insulting.... but trust me when I tell you that a fan cannot
see the whole ice... a ref can... a ref can tell you how many guys are on
the ice at any given time, and a ref can tell you who the 2 or 3 immediate
past puck handlers were... that is who scored the goal and who he got the
puck from and who he got it from.....

if you have that talent, then you are no fan, mother hart, you are a
ref!!!... if took me a very long time to develope those skills... noone
should be insulted by my saing that I see things that others do not... and
anyone would be silly to say that hockey referees do not see the game
differently than they did before they reffed.