ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:57:24 -0500
Lindsay and I continued the "time and opportunity" Tour 2000 at Lowell on
Friday night.

We drove through the storm to be the first of our group to arrive at the
Tsongas.  Unfortunately, it was not early enough to grab a pre-game
beverage at the nearby brewery.  So, whilst waiting in the arena's spacious
lobby for our companions to arrive, a gentleman approached, asking if we
would be interested in four free tickets to the contest.  We gratefully
accepted, on his condition that we cheer for Maine. (duh)  I did not get
his name.  Thanks, I hope you read this.

Looking at Deron's boxscore, if there were 2,200 + at the game, the
majority must have been dressed up as empty seats.  As I suspect, the
number was seats sold, not those actually in attendance.  Can you "attend"
but not be there ?

Kudos to the hearty souls who did show up.  And, it had to be at least half
Maine supporters,  perhaps including those who just wanted to see a game
and weren't vocal for the home team.  Maine fans will follow the team
through anything.

Bob Fitta is happy to have seen his first W this season.

What continues to concern me is that Maine played one more game to the
level of their opposition.  You might say a 3-0 lead would belie this
observation.   But look at SOG.  And, again, Maine tried to be a little too
cute on offense.  Spin moves and one-too-many passes won't do it when the
post-season comes around.  You might think you could try this against the
second echelon, but forget it when the games are one loss and out.

Lowell played Maine even for most of each period.  Maine scored twice at
the18 minute mark, and at 13 minutes.   St. John was very good between the
pipes for Lowell.

And Maine has to conclude the pattern is the referees are watching VERY
closely, and resign ourselves to getting the worst of calls this year.  Ah,
the fruits of a national championship.  It's not the number of penalties,
it's when and how.  Maine is indeed better than most of its opposition.
Endure your penalties and take advantage of opportunities.

Why am I worried that our pairing might be Northeastern  for the HE
playoffs ?

Dan Doucette

Maine - National Champions 1993 and 1999 -
first in the new Millennium ?

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.