ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:10:23 -0500
spokem like a guy who does not know much about officiating!
the only blown call I saw was when gravelese did not call Kariya in the
crease when he recieved the stellar pass from trattnig... martin had 2 feet
in the crease and ws doing a beautiful jig trying to get out of the crease
as he recieved the pass... it was a beautiful steal at center ice (or a
crappy fumble on the part of the lowell powerplay unit) that set up trattnig
and kariya racing in...gravelese was way out of position to see that kariya
was in the crease but that is not his fault...

he knew he blew the call, as evidenced by the questionable call on Ek a
couple seconds after the face off...Ek and a lowell player were wrestling on
the way into the corner chasing the puck, the lowell player lost, but it was
two guys going at it... Ek got called cause the other guy fell... I will
give you that one... but he was fair... and he put Bretram in the box for a
little mouthing off... for 10 minutes... Lowell can scarceley afford losing
one of their best defensemen for something that Larose started in the
corner....
don't get me wrong, I am big Maine fan, but also a ref... I know chippy
hockey and I know dirty hockey... our boys were pretty dirty last night and
gravelese let alot go in our favor.
the ONLY mistake I saw the linesmen do last night was they put a handpass
face off at the offside circle... the hand pass happened at teh blueline...
the feace off should have been about 2 feet away from the circle... not a
big deal... and Jones one of the best linesmen inthe country... pity his
brother (probably the best) went to the ECAC because of politics. (want
shitty lines called, watch Shea... if the league is still using him)

learn the game before you put an oficial down... gravelese is one of the
best in HE and i am glad to see him.

congrats to brendan walsh! he is finally playing with his head and not
getting really dumb penalties...

 and a question... what was wrong with Ben Guite last night??? that was the
worst passing I have ever seen by him... I bet he is sick!

also... I really liked seeing Barrett trying to make the pretty passes last
night... alot of behind-the-back Gretzky-like passes and attempted passes...
it is games like that where guys can try new stuff and if it does not work
it does not give the game away...if you missed it.. it was beautiful... pity
they did to lead to any goals...they would have been on the highlight reels
for years.
Hi all...

By the way, I don't think Trattnig was shooting on
Maine's 2nd goal - that was a pass... and it was
a beauty.  The scary part was the Kariya almost
didn't handle it cleanly and poke it home... ;-)
Kariya also made a pass later in the period that
would have put the bears up 4-0 but St. John made
the save of the game.... (don't remember who shot it)

One other comment... to call John Gravallese an
official is a contradiction in terms....! He was
nothing short of abominable.... he shouldn't even
go near a hockey rink with the effort he put out
there.... he tarnished this game with just out and
out blown calls and non-calls...  The linesmen
were not stellar either.... (although Jones usually
is ok... just had an off night)  I think Gravallese
can bring down anybody when he steps on the ice...

Just my $.02...

Hopefully Maine puts out another stellar effort and
we end up ahead of Northeastern after this weekend...

--- Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> (From Hockey East)
> Maine 4, UMass Lowell 1
>                      2/18/2000 at Tsongas Arena
>
> Kariya gave the
> Black Bears a 2-0 cushion
>   13:36 into the second period as he tucked in a
> rebound off a shot by junior
>   Matthias Trattnig (Graz, Austria). Senior Robert
> Ek (Lulea, Sweden) was also
>   credited with an assist.
>

>   Officials:
>   Referee:John Gravellese

=====
As always...
Kev

"Life is like a roller-coaster.... Enjoy the ride!"