ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:28:58 EST
Deron wrote, in part..
>BU may not be over flowing with talent, but where they do have talent is in
>net.  Ricky DiPetro is very, very impressive.  In my opinion, he is the
>largest reason that BU is in first-place.  Without him (and with Jason
>Tapp) BU would be down with Maine in the 4th-5th place area.  They also
>have some great defensemen in Auferio, Dyment and this new kid Meyers.

BU has the talent ... its just quite young.  They may have the best
1st and 2nd-year players in the country.  Don't be surprised to see
DiPietro and Aufiero on the HEA all-star 1st team.  And Meyer makes
BU a much tougher team, IMHO.

>One thing I noticed this past weekend is that BC appears to finally have
>realized how good they *should* be.  Their defensemen played oustanding,
>and they may very well have the best defensemen in the country.  Allen,
>Mottau, Orpik and Scuderi I all thought would be the #1 d-man on any
>team.  Now that BC is getting some good goaltending, watch-out, they could
>run the table.

Mottau and Allen get media attention  because they are upperclassmen
and score a lot (1.08 and 0.71 points/game, respectively). Orpik and
Scuderi are good, but 1st-yr Bill Cass is their 3rd best defenseman,
IMHO.  Hughes rounds out a very strong defensive corps!

And we haven't mentioned their forwards led by Farkas, Bellefeuille
and Gionta,  with Kolanos and Guiliano coming on like gang-busters.
Caulfield and Lephart are good upperclassmen.  Maybe top 2 lines of
anyone.

In goal, BC is a notch down from Dipietro, IMHO, with Kelleher and
Clemmensen.  Kelleher has a tremendous save percentage (93%),  but
Clemmensen (89%)  somehow seems better to me,  despite his several
loses to Maine.  Maybe a goalie coach could set me straight.   :-)

BC has very impressive talent.

Not necessarily a better TEAM than Maine in either case.

Time will show us shortly (all too quickly) what rabbits are ready to
pop out of the Maine top-hat by Walsh and the other coaches ...

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3