ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John and Jean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:04:25 -0500
> Maine is being affected very badly it seems by all the hoopla about being
> National
> Champions.  Not only did it seemingly impart in our team,a sense of smugness;
> hubris, perhaps, and inevitably, it sparks their opposition to play at a
> high level.

Have you spent enough time with the team to make such a statement?

After watching the BU series and listening to the BC series it appears to me that
the main problem with this team is the lack of a bona fide go to goal scorer (just
like our beloved Bruins).  They played very well at BU and ran into a fantastic
goaltender.  Reading accounts of the BC series it sounds like again they ran into
hot goaltending.

The first BU game Maine was certainly out goaltended.  Morrison gave up 2 soft
goals and 1 marginal goal while Dipietro made great save after great save.  I am
not condemning Morrison for the loss just pointing out facts.

The few times I have seen Maine this year, in person and on tv, it appears they
don't have a true leader.  An individual who can lift the whole team.  Opponents
don't have to concentrate on stopping a particular player like they have in years
past.  Maine has a fairly strong team and a successful February will translate into
a successful March.  Let's give them the support they need!!

John Duffill
An original Friend of Maine Hockey