ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:37:51 -0500
I hope all Maine fans remember to wear WHITE to the Alfond this weekend in
support of the team. There is an attempt under way by the fans from New
Hampshire that are coming up to the Alfond to get them all to wear dark blue
to the games (pretty neat since that is a UMaine color too).

UMaine Head Coach Shawn Walsh saw this Wear White tradition at a NHL game
(in Winnipeg I think) and brought the idea to the fans of Maine at least two
years ago. Last year UNH used it for their White Out at the Whitt. Now it is
time to bring this tradition back to the Northeast and show our support for
the team!

Lets all wear WHITE to the hockey games this Friday and Saturday at the
Alfond and show the 150 UNH fans that are coming to the games what good
sportsmanship really is. If any of you were at the UMaine / UNH games last
March at the Whittemore Center in Durham, or if you know someone who was,
then you know how Maine fans were treated. In a word HORRIBLE. I would like
to think that UMaine students and fans will come to these games this weekend
and cheer FOR our Black Bears. We should be loud and energetic when cheering
for UMaine but we don't need to be abusive or demeaning towards the opposing
team's fans.

Wear WHITE Weekend. Wear a white coat, a white hat, a white sweater, a white
shirt or even white face paint! Come to the Alfond this weekend and support
the Black Bears!