ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:42:34 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/040229umhock.shtml

                        Sunday, February 29, 2004

                                                    Black Bears definitely show no lack of effort this time

                            By  KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                          Copyright  2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

  UP NEXT

      UP NEXT

  Who: Boston College vs. University of Maine

    When: 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday

    Where: Alfond Arena, Orono

 LOWELL, Mass.  --  The hits arrived with more oomph, and more often. Battles for loose pucks ended in their possession. And in almost every other phase of Saturday's game, the University of Maine men's hockey team dominated Massachusetts-Lowell, winning 4-0 before 4,153 at Tsongas Arena.

     A night after a lackluster 3-2 loss to Lowell, Maine rebounded with a thorough effort.

     "We got a little talking to this morning by Coach (Tim Whitehead)," said Maine forward Jon Jankus. "He stressed that we played absolutely brutal (Friday) night. We wanted to be all over them from the start, and we were."

     Jankus scored two goals and added an assist. Greg Moore and defenseman Tom Zabkowicz each had a goal, and Todd Jackson contributed two assists.

     The Black Bears outshot Lowell 39-20 and sizzled on special teams, scoring on two power plays as well as while playing four-on-four. And Maine killed five power plays, including a major.

     But goalie Jimmy Howard still had to make some nifty saves to record his fourth shutout of the season and seventh of his career, tying Frank Doyle for the school record. Doyle has five this season as Maine extended the school record for shutouts in a season.

     Howard watched from the bench Friday night as Maine's defensive effort left Doyle hanging.

     "I don't know if we were looking to the future or what," Howard said. "But we're back down to earth now, and taking one game at a time.

     "The forwards came back (on defense Saturday night) and that makes all the difference."

     The Black Bears improved to 24-7-3, 15-5-2 in Hockey East. They clinched second place and the No. 2 seed in the tournament. Maine plays first-place Boston College next weekend to finish the regular season. The series will not affect the league standings.

     Lowell dropped to 9-21-6, 6-12-4, falling to seventh place. If the River Hawks finish there, they will visit Orono in two weeks for a Hockey East quarterfinal series.

     Whitehead shuffled his lineup after Friday's loss, inserting three new players and changing the lines.

     "We wanted to make sure we were hungry to play," Whitehead said.

     The changes seemed to energize Maine, which outshot the River Hawks 15-3 in the first period, taking a 3-0 lead.

     "That was a good, old-fashioned whooping in the first period," Lowell Coach Blaise MacDonald said. "We were stuck in the mud."

     Jankus scored first at 4:31. With Matt Greyeyes controlling the puck after a solid check behind Lowell's net, Jankus skated in free on a line change. Greyeyes dished him the puck in the high slot, and Jankus one-timed it inside the left post.

     Next came a four-on-four goal. Lowell blew its coverage and Prestin Ryan passed to Zabkowicz, who was alone in front of the crease. He easily lifted the puck over John Yaros' glove at 14:29.

     Jankus got his second goal on a power play at 17:11. After some crisp passes, Jankus one-timed a Michel Leveille feed under Yaros' blocker.

     Lowell got an opportunity in the second period when Maine forward Josh Soares was sent off with a game misconduct and a five-minute major penalty. Soares hit Andrew Martin from behind into the boards.

     With Martin lying on the ice, a couple of his teammates went after Soares. A hitting-after penalty resulted, leaving Lowell with only three minutes of the major. Maine killed the penalty.

     A minute later, Maine made it 4-0 on Moore's power-play goal.

     NOTES: Defenseman Jeff Mushaluk (back spasms) and forward Mike Hamilton (sprained ankle) stayed in Orono this weekend. . . . Tickets remain for the Maine-Boston College series next weekend at Alfond Arena. Call the Maine ticket office (1-800-756-TEAM) for more information.

     Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: