ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 09:35:55 EST
In a message dated 2/7/98 3:00:42 AM, Cathy wrote

< The hit Jason took caused him to shake uncontrollably for the time he was on
the ice. It was scarey.

More than crowd intensity, more than the physicality of "mega-rinks", more
than the opinions of Dave Hendrickson, more than the reality of college hockey
as a business, our BOYS are getting hurt playing a game for WHAT.... our
enjoyment and pleasure!?

Paul Kariya has already at age 23 sustained 4 concussions to the head, in the
pros for fourteen million. No amount of money will remove the possible side
effects that Paul may endure.

So OUR SPORT once esteemed as safer than others, could now be considered
parallel with............maybe football or boxing for sheer career and quality
of life harmful exposure.

Does that make me SOFT? (-:

NO, it makes me a PARENT! NOT MANY OF THOSE VOICING ON THIS LIST!

Cathy's concern as a PARENT is what counts sometimes. Because I REALLY care
about what happened to JASON VITORINO. You can ALL discuss crowd intensity,
rink size and acoustics, and college hockey's struggle for the MIGHTY DOLLAR
and National television coverage.

The game should be made safer for OUR BOYS!

While the NCAA is padding bucks into their breeches and  Official_DOM is
retiree age with a lack of funding (this seems really equitable) (-:.....OUR
GUYS are getting calls that hurt the game and don't HELP the player.

Note: The NCAA, who are responsible for the rules that structure and
supposedly keep the sport KOSHER (-: do in fact little to make it SAFE AND
HAPPY for the players themselves. THE BUREAUCRACY NOURISHES NCAA FAT
CATS.....ONLY!

This SUCKS!

Talk about THAT!!!!!!!       (-:

Vicki Price

Proud Parent of Jason #22 MAINE BLACK BEAR