ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:12:40 -0500
Okay Cathy, I'll take a swing at that pitch!

I thought Fitzy really lost control of the game in the 3rd period --
this will inevitably lead to some ugly hockey.

I didn't understand what happened with White so I didn't really comment
on it but Cathy raises a good point.  If he simply came off the ice to
talk with Fitzy - isn't that his right as a captain???  I remember Cole
got upset with Maine at UNH last year for players arguing who were not
captains but that was not the case here.  If Fitzy can't take the "heat"
when he makes a "controversial" call, maybe it is time to step aside.

I'm not surprised that the head of officials just shook his head at the
game replay because it would be embarassing to see what Fitzy did at
points in the 3rd period (see my prior message).

I used to think Fitzy was a "fair" ref but now I'm beginning to wonder.
I'll just chalk it up as a bad game for now but I'll be watching him
more closely from now on... ;-)

I also agree with Cathy that there should be some recourse against
officials who do have a bad game -- maybe they should be penalized for
such efforts (something that the NFL has employed recently).  Maybe then
they would stive to become better refs...? Comments/suggestions?

- Kevin

--
  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]