ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:06:30 -0400
A very classy response by Cathy.  In keeping with the spirit I will try to
make this my last post on the issue as well, though I hope Cathy will not
shut herself off to more discussion about the Friends.  I've learned more
about the organization in the last week than I have in all the previous
years!!  Certainly a good offseason topic and with the number of interested
in and out of staters who knows what could happen?  I sincerely hope Cathy
will not shy away from continued discussion on FoMH as she knows it better
than any of us could.

At 10:04 PM 7/10/97 -0400, Cathy Hart wrote:
>I have had several people tell me they have heard the announcements re:
>joining the FMH, so I am assured something is getting out to the public
>attending the games.  This matters to me, as I count this as a vital way the
>U can support us as a group.

I'm glad to hear that something is getting out.  It would have been a shame
if nothing was happening on that front.  Those announcements can be crucial
tools.

>I have wondered why Deron has been so critical of me and the FMH in his
>postings, and I have had many people privately ask me why he "felt that way".
>I am relieved to know that he does not really feel the way he sounds!

There is no real sense to drag this out so it is better to agree to
disagree.  I disagree with you some some points, but that is ok because
life would be incredible dull if we agreed on everything.  You have your
strong opinions and I respect the fact you can share them and defend them.
As you all know by now since I've been running some form of a list for a
couple years now, I'm never scared to give my opinions either!  :-)

I think everyone defines true fans in their own way.  What has been lost in
this (at times) heated discussion is that I don't entirely disagree with
what Cathy said I just didn't like the sweeping generalization.  There are
always exceptions.

>not able to be objective, irregardless, given our training.  Also, being so
>active for most of FMH's history gives Jack especially and me by proxy, a
>general idea of what is possible for a group of volunteers, and the
>parameters we can work within.

And this is what the discussion should focus on.  Mailing lists like this
can be great brainstorming tools.  You know the limitations of your group
and if you can express that to the people here perhaps we could come up
with more constructive ideas than have flowed in recent days.

A lot of people have a lot of good ideas, I'm sure, but without
understanding the limitations (like no-advertising for instance) it is
practically impossible to come up with constructive suggestions.

>I guess, Deron, I will just have to agree to disagree with you.  For me, to
>"assume" that most people who go to games do not know that the FMH exists,
>or, if they cared, could not name at least some of what we do, would be
>impossible.  Again, I stand by the categories.  I 'll say it one last time:
> the excellence of the program will definitely be affected by lack of
>monetary support, WHETHER THROUGH THE FMH OR NOT.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll run out of things to write stories about and
go around the Alfond some night taking a survey and report back to you on
this.  It is foolish to continue this debate because the discussion of
whether or not what FoMH does is well known is 100 percent subjective.

>Scholarships: C'mon Deron, you know it doesn't work that way!  All membership
>money goes into an account (A lot of other money from FMH activities like the
>Auction, etc., along with Athletic Department funds, goes in there, too!)

Thanks Cathy!  This is what I'm talking about.  I did not know this and I'm
probably not alone.  I love learning stuff like this.  You know this stuff
that other people take for granted and that is why I'd like to see more of
such discussion.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])