ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:56:06 -0500
As you season ticket holders know, the invoices for this coming season
have arrived (and are due back by July 15th).

Since we're among friends, I'd like to comment on this invoice ...

*   There is no accompanying cover letter.  I prefer to be at least
    thanked for my support.

*   Per ticket price has been reduced to $198 this season. I haven't
    calculated the per game price, but it is significantly more than
    ticket face value (again).

*   No tentative schedule has been included, so if you wanted to
    figure out how many home games or how many home games you might be
    able to attend ... tough luck.

*   Though the address is printed in mixed case, the rest of the form
    is printed in ALL UPPER CASE.  Go figure.

*   A note near the top of the form says "Thank you for your ticket
    order. Please find enclosed your credit card slip and tickets as
    requested."  This was on an invoice on which "they" expect payment.

*   A note near the bottom of the form says "RETAIN YELLOW COPY AND
    RETURN WHITE WITH YOUR PAYMENT."  Printed on the white copy is
    "CUSTOMER COPY" and on the yellow is "OFFICE COPY".  Go figure
    again.

*   The form tells you to make your check out to U Maine with no
    mention that credit card or payroll deduction may be used.

*   There is no return envelope.  The form has one address on it and
    the envelope in which it arrived has another ... in a different
    building.

*   In previous seasons, we were offered a media guide (for additional
    cost).  No such offer this time.

*   In previous seasons, we were offered packages for other sports.
    No mention that other sports might be played at U Maine.  On the
    other hand, the sport is identified as "MENS ICE HOCKEY".
    Ignoring the grammar, is this an implication there will be women's
    ice hockey at the varsity level?

*   No mention of the hockey alumni weekend.

*   The AD's letter that proceeded this invoice by a few weeks implied
    good news and new and exciting items in this mailing.  Maybe I
    should be happy that the band won't be in my seat next season ...
    maybe I should actually use my tickets next season instead of
    "working the games".

All in all, it appears that if Maine NCAA Compliance has been upgraded
to an expected and acceptable level, other areas of the Athletic
Department may have a ways to go.

Pet peeve: If they print an "L" on every lower level ticket again this
year, I think I'll scream (*section* L gets real full of infrequent
attendees because of this!).

Bring on the season! ... or rather alumni weekend ...

cheers,
wayne

Wayne Smith -- [log in to unmask] -- Old Town Landing