ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 19:22:18 -0400
(the following appeared in Saturday's Bangor Daily News)

BU PLAYER TO PLAY FOR UMAINE
Finnish Player commits
By Larry Mahoney and Andrew Neff
Of the NEWS Staff

Hard-nosed sophomore center Brendan Walsh, who left Boston University's
hockey team in February due to philosophical differences with head coach
Jack Parker, has transferred to the University of Maine.

Maine has also received a verbal commitment from it's first Finnish-born
player, winger Tuomo Jaaskelainen from Helsinki.

"I'm really excited," said Brendan Walsh.  "It's a great fit.  I played for
coach [Maine assistant Grant] Standbrook at the Olympic Festival [in 1995]
and I could go on and on about his systems, how he runs a team and his
overall approach to the game.  He's a wizard."

Walsh had five goals and eight assists and a team-high 83 penalty minutes
in 27 games this past season.

He said he has no hard feelings toward Parker "but we butted heads over a
few incidents involving team rules" and they decided to part ways in February.

Parker could not be reached for comment.

Walsh was BU's leading freshman point-getter two years ago with eight goals
and 16 assists in 38 games.  His 90 penalty minutes led the Terriers.

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound Dorchester, Mass. native and former US over-20
national team player said he is exploring an appeal to the NCAA to gain his
eligibility for next season.

The other factor in his decision was Maine's future.

"The last three teams I have played on have contended for some type of
championship," said Walsh, referring to Catholic Memorial High School
(Mass.), the Omaha Lancers of the U.S. Hockey League and Boston University.
 "I want to play for a contender and the way Maine has been playing, I
expect them to be involved in the NCAA Tournament the next four or five
years."

In addition to Maine, the 22-year-old Walsh also wrote to Michigan,
Michigan State and Boston College.

Walsh said he likes the academics at Maine, the work ethic and the
grittiness of teh players and coach Shawn Walsh' vocal leadership on the
bench.

Maine coach Walsh cannot comment on Brendan Walsh but former Maind
defenseman Jeff Libby said, "He's feisty.  He's the type of player you hate
to play against but you'd love to have on your team.  He's a hard worker
and he's always yapping."

Walsh intends to curb his penalty minutes at Maine and admitted there will
be a "little vengeance" involved when he plays BU.