ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 17:58:03 -0400
TYLER, WALSH AGREE ON CONTRACT
Terms of multi-year deal still must be approved by president, trustees
By Larry Mahoney
Of the NEWS Staff

University of Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh and Director of Athletics Sue
Tyler have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract.

The contract is currently being drawn up at the Office of Human Resources
and, upon completion, it will have to be approved by President Fred
Hutchinson and the Board of Trustees.

Walsh, who makes $77,636 per year on his current contract, said he didn't
want to talk specifics until "it gets approved all the way down the line."

But he did say he is comfortable with the contract.

"I've made it clear that I wanted to stay here.  We're excited about our
future.  The way we finished from Christmas on has brought our excitement
back," said Walsh, who has led Maine to a 304-174-24 record in 13 years
including a 15-3 mark to finish this past season after he served a one-year
suspension for NCAA violations.

"Even though we lost [defenseman] Jeff Libby unexpectedly [to the NHL's New
York Islanders] and we have holes to fill, we should compete fro an NCAA
Tournament spot next year," said Walsh.

They will have a healthy nucleus returning from a 24-10-1 team.  NCAA
sanctions prevented them from playing in the postseason.

Tyler said she doesn't comment on personnel issues, but she would say she
and Walsh "were on the same page" regarding his contract.

--30--