ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:10:17 -0500
Boy Dan who ruffled your feathers!

As a flatlander I was among the many critics whenever tourney time
rolled around.  But as a broadcast major who got my feet wet at WDME
after graduation I spent 3 seasons doing b-ball play-by-play for
Dover-Foxcroft, Dexter, Penquis, PCHS, Greenville and Nokomis.  The
culmination of which was a trip to Bangor for the Eastern tourney.  I
can't begin to explain how much fun that was, for high school hoop fans
it is their frozen four!

So I say give them their week or two in the spotlight, hockey team is
doing just fine, and it's that kind of passion in Maine that has people
flocking to the Alfond in snow storms or to see the
Alabama-Huntsville's of the world.  Maine folks care about their teams,
and as they sign says that's "the way life should be".

Looking forward to two games in Lowell this weekend!  What's the name
of the brew pub near the Tsongas?

For those who have not been to the Tsongas, while the atmosphere is
wanting, the arena itself is probably the best as far as seating,
creature comforts, ease of parking, so come on down!

On Feb 23, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Dan Doucette wrote:

> Our State University hockey team is on a "March" to the post-season,
> likely
> will be # 2 in the nation this week, yet Larry Mahoney's paper buries
> his
> story on the first Maine-Providence game deep in the Weekend edition in
> favor of stories on HS hoops teams, some of which seemingly have
> smaller
> school enrollment than the number of people standing in line for the
> men's
> room between periods at the Alfond...
>
> Larry does a great job covering the Black Bears, but his employers are
> leaving him out to dry.  He ought to send in a mini-story any time they
> banish his report deep inside the sports page during Tournament Time.
> Maybe
> he could be convinced to do a more in-depth hockey column on-line
> under the
> WZON pages, somewhat in a reverse of what Gary Thorne does in the
> BDN...
>
> AD Nero must also be discouraged by the fascination with Tournament
> Time in
> the local media.  I know on WABI it's better because of their own
> coverage,
> but the Ch. 2/6 combo is generally pathetic when it comes to covering
> Our
> State University...
>
> It will even be worse this coming weekend when Maine travels to Lowell
> and
> there are more HS hoops to contend with.
>
> Good luck to those without Internet connections and in the radio void
> south
> of Waterville trying to get even the briefest game-night summary on the
> games this coming weekend...
>
> Fill the FMH buses I say and make the Tsongas into Alfond South,
> because if
> you really want to know what happened in both games, I'm afraid you'll
> have
> to see for yourself in person.

Bob Fitta
Director of Advertising