ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:29:43 -0500
Our State University hockey team is on a "March" to the post-season, likely
will be # 2 in the nation this week, yet Larry Mahoney's paper buries his
story on the first Maine-Providence game deep in the Weekend edition in
favor of stories on HS hoops teams, some of which seemingly have smaller
school enrollment than the number of people standing in line for the men's
room between periods at the Alfond...

Larry does a great job covering the Black Bears, but his employers are
leaving him out to dry.  He ought to send in a mini-story any time they
banish his report deep inside the sports page during Tournament Time.  Maybe
he could be convinced to do a more in-depth hockey column on-line under the
WZON pages, somewhat in a reverse of what Gary Thorne does in the BDN...

AD Nero must also be discouraged by the fascination with Tournament Time in
the local media.  I know on WABI it's better because of their own coverage,
but the Ch. 2/6 combo is generally pathetic when it comes to covering Our
State University...

It will even be worse this coming weekend when Maine travels to Lowell and
there are more HS hoops to contend with.

Good luck to those without Internet connections and in the radio void south
of Waterville trying to get even the briefest game-night summary on the
games this coming weekend...

Fill the FMH buses I say and make the Tsongas into Alfond South, because if
you really want to know what happened in both games, I'm afraid you'll have
to see for yourself in person.