ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 09:27:46 -0400
At 01:56 AM 5/5/97 -0400, Deron Treadwell wrote:
>Some recent messages have talked about hockey coverage in local media.
>
>I've got good news for you.  This week, Maine Campus hockey beat writer and
>ME-HOCKEY member Bill Stewart was named Sports Editor for the Maine Campus
>next year.  For those not familar, the Maine Campus is UM's student newspaper.
>
>Bill and I have already begun talking about next year's coverage and
>between the two of us I expect the Maine Campus to have excellent hockey
>coverage next year.
>
>Perhaps Bill or someone else could explain whether or not there is a way to
>receive the Campus through mail subscription, if not perhaps something can
>be worked out??
>
>I have a feeling that all hockey fans will want to be reviewing this
>publication next season however.

In addition to Maine hockey, I follow all of the sports at my alma mater,
Ohio State.  Their campus newspaper, like those of many other universities,
has a web page and they post a dozen or so articles including two or three
sports articles each day.  It is a great way for alumni around the country
and for that matter, more students to read the daily campus paper.

Maybe Bill Stewart would like to explore the possibility of having the
"Maine Campus" going high tech.  This would not only give wider exposure of
Black Bear hockey but of the University as a whole to anyone one on the web.
 I think in these times of tight money, it would be good for a broader
exposure of the troubles and triumphs of the University of Maine.

On the athletic side, a wider exposure of the program could be useful in
recruiting and at least partially counter the hatchet job reporting of the
"Bangor Deadly News".  It would be easy to link this to Maine Hockey
newsgroup and the other hockey links.  It would be great exposure for Maine
Hockey (and other sports), the University,  the "Maine Campus" and the
students publishing the "Maine Campus" (they will soon be looking for jobs)
to a much bigger number of readers.

There probably is the expertise on the "Maine Campus " staff to work up a
web site for their paper.  If not, I bet they could find a professor who
would be willing to have one of his/her classes take on the development as a
class project.  On many campuses there is no charge for students or
university organizations to have a web sites.  If this is the case at the
Maine, it is a no cost high exposure project.

Bob Svec

GO BLACK BEARS