ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:42:15 -0400
Over diet pop in the kitchen my neighbor questioned,"You get a Bangor, Maine
paper?" I replied, "Yep, to keep up with the hockey team." Then, I choked. I
sat looking down at the infamous BDN for which I pay $100.00+ a year to read
guys like Joe Mc Laughlin! The paper comes wrapped in cello and is delivered
one to two weeks past the print date. I subscribe to my local paper for
$11.00 a month on a Sundays only basis for coupons. Thrifty, cost effective
me! And you guys probably get your BDN out of the trash can or recycle bin!
Admit it (-:

With my camp fire girl mentality, I rarely accept defeat (keep in mind I was
the camp fire girl who was convinced she could sell more cookies than any one
else, ordered 11 dozen boxes and sold four) in any situation. Alternative
reading now seems imperative. I'm developing abusive habits, like reading
with daggers instead of eyeballs and making sure its pages become can pan
liner--well you get the gist! We need an alternative forum that permits top
coverage with out bias. Maybe a conjoining of all the 'Friends' pages, a
school based paper (Umaine has it's own paper plant--yes) which could be read
weekly on a campus/community basis and mailed to parents. I'll buy it (-:

Maybe it would take an action like this to show BDN no readers, no revenue.
Then we'd have to work on getting UMAINE their own-on-campus TV
station!!!!!!! (-:

Sincerely,
Ex-Camp Fire Girl