ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Alexis Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:23:05 -0500
> I don't remember very many empty seats when there were a lot non-season
> ticket seats.  I have seen a significant number of empty season ticket
> seats, but I suppose that since they were paid for so it's ok.

These full non-season ticket seats were not paying seats either--a good
chunk those seats were tickets held by the university for corporate
sponsors. I think the athletic department did a great service to the
community and the hockey fan base by releasing these tickets for sale either
as season tickets or single game seats.

> I just have to question the fairness to the general public that access to
> the hockey games at a taxpayer supported institution is so restricted
> towards people with money.  Just because it's possible to almost totally
> sell out the whole arena for season tickets doesn't make it fair or even
> right.

The people that buy season tickets are just as much a part of the general
public as anyone else, so how is it not fair? If someone is willing to make
the upfront financial commitment of buying a season ticket, I would
certainly take that over having that same ticket available for walk-up and
purchased for only the "big" home games.

The university may be supported by the taxpayers, but the athletic programs
as a whole are not. All athletic programs at the university depend on the
revenue-generating teams...including hockey.

~Lexy~