ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Chesley, Clair" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:59:38 -0500
I didn't buy my tickets the day of the game.  I bought them the Monday
before the game over the telephone.  Yes individual tickets are available
but you have to buy the "rival pack" and pay for a basketball game that
you're not going to drive for 3 hours to go to.  And there are precious few
of them besides.

Nope the season ticket people are not "required to be less loud" they just
generally are.  With the whole arena almost totally season ticket seats it's
definitely quieter that the old days when I could afford to go.  If it
weren't for the student section it would be really quiet.

That $30K to $50K isn't really "new" dollars since almost all of those seats
were being sold before anyway for almost all of the games.  As I said before
the Alfond was usually sold out or close to it at least at every game that I
went to.

It is a fact that a lot less people are going to the games. Yes the arena is
mostly full but it's the same people for every game.  All those people who
used to buy tickets on Monday and at the door, thousands every year, aren't
there anymore unless they shelled out the bucks for season tickets.   It's
the same season ticket holders for every game except for now and then when
someone can't go and they pass on their ticket.  Basically it's only the
people that can afford season tickets AND live close enough that it's
reasonable to get to all or most of the games.  No matter how you think
about that's kind of an exclusive group.  Basically the people who can't
afford season tickets and/or live far away are now, for all practical
purposes, excluded.  I don't think that's fair.   I personally know quite a
few people who used to go now and then but don't any more because they can't
afford it.