ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:17:22 -0500
I share some of Dan's concerns regarding protecting 3 goal leads.
Actually thought the defense tightened up better as the Merrimack
game went along, but did not generate as many scoring chances as I
would have liked.  Best way to prevent shots on your goalie is by
playing in the offensive end.

While I only was able to listen to parts of the Dartmouth game this
call out and quote by Tim in the BDN is telling

(From game story)

Maine protected the lead impressively, outshooting Dartmouth 10-4 in
the third period and generating 12 high-percentage scoring
opportunities to Dartmouth's three.

"We responded really well in the third period," said Whitehead.

"It was a good win. It was a hard-fought game. We were consistently
physical, which we needed to be against a tough team like Dartmouth,
yet I felt we were disciplined," Whitehead added.

Personally I'd like to see Maine have more of a killer instinct at
the end of these games.  Dartmouth had no business getting 2 shots on
goal in last 10 seconds when the face-off was just inside the Maine
blue line.  Have to find someone to win a bloody face off when we
need it!  Win a face-off win the game.

Still chalking these up as learning experiences and hoping this years
team has a better aptitude than last year.  Maine may have found
another player in Hamilton who has picked up a goal and assist in the
last two games!  Looking forward to seeing more of him.

  Unfortunate for Jimmy with the knee, BDN reports could keep him from
going to juniors.  Let's hope it is minor and just requires rest,
which he and the team will get until after Christmas!

Who would have thought that this team would have 12 wins at this point?????

Here's to  more of the same in 2004!!!!!

DAN,

Thanks for the McBride reference.   McBride certainly was the ref we
loved to hate.  His name now brings a smile to my face, same can not
be said of  PIO , but one day maybe that will change!

Finally, if anyone has in their possession a roster of Maine's 77-78
team I would like a copy.  I am putting together a numerical listing
of every player to wear a Maine jersey and need only that year, and
oddly enough my senior year of 82-83.  The Maine media Guide that
year did not list the players numerically and I had a couple of ?
marks.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Bob Fitta '83

--