ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:33:15 -0700
--- Nonni Daly <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In a message dated 6/29/03 11:39:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> > Of course, the Mullins Center will be a neutral ice venue because
> UMass
> > won't be there.  :-)
> >

> One can always live in hope -- but, Toot has shown he can make some
> good
> things happen, like the q-finals up here this past year, and hasn't
> yet gotten to
> the point where all the kids on his squad are his own recruits.  The
> next
> couple of years should tell the tale for UMA.

I think Toot has done a good job with UMass, no question about it.
They came so close to the Hockey East Championship game.

But I am not ready to say that they are on the verge of becoming a
power and an NCAA Tournament contender.  Toot had good teams at
Princeton too, but never turned that corner.

So you are right, we will see.  Hockey East is so tough and when you
have BC, BU, Maine and UNH reloading every year it is really tough for
the lower-half of the league to make in roads.  Providence and Lowell
have had flashes, but nothing consistent.

-dt