ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jeffrey Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:08:59 -0500
Subject:  Re: UNH/BC Result

What the hell was that, Who's Howard?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  It's waaaayyyy too early in the morning for that one!

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/19/02 10:43PM >>>
Nonnie gives me credit (THINKing), where there's not much due:
>> I think Howard in goal (in most of the big games this season), with
>> Doyle playing against QC Tuesday
>
>Could you share your thinking on this one, wts?  Thanks.

Sure.  I've thought Frank Doyle to be the card we needed since his
terrific Blue/White game a *year* ago!  Then Jimmy Howard comes in and
plays like a senior ready for the NHL, not a true freshman.

Any logical, unbiased knowledgeable hockey person would have seen the
rotation starting with the CC game: JH, FD, JH, FD, JH, FD, JH, FD, JH.
But remember, I'm THINKing, Nonnie ... that rotation would be too easy.

So I examine the schedule.  Toss out the first couple of games where FD
wasn't eligible and "let" FD play AA.  Nothing to be learned from WMU
and MH dual games, except JH played the first night and FD the 2nd.
I THINK this means JH in the 1st night this week!

Now comes a week with only one game.  Who gets to play? JH.
I THINK this means JH is the man!

Now comes the Boston weekend, with 2-5-2 NU and 5-2-2 BU.  The weekend
doesn't start with JH, as it did with WMU and MH, but pitted FD against
the weaker club on the 1st night. I THINK this means JH gets UNH!

Now, to prove I'm really THINKing up a storm, consider this:

JH has faced tougher competition so far.  Using the latest (unpublished)
HEAL rankings, the 4 FD competitors average 41st place, whereas the 6 JH
competitors average 28th place. I THINK JH plays in the big games!

Of course nobody doing much THINKing puts any stock in computed rankings
this early in a season.  Maybe that's why I haven't published HEAL,
USCHO hasn't published PWR, etc.

So I really THINK FD will rest his leg a few days more and have an
early Thanksgiving feast with QC, while JH will get the nod Friday.

But maybe Coach Whitehead wants me to THINK that ...  and so will pull
the big switcheroo just to confuse me.  I THINK that's a possibility?!

But Nonnie questioned my JH selection for Friday. Nonnie's never wrong,
so I *must* THINK that FD is going first.

But wait.  Nonnie knows some UNH people read this list, and she'd never
give the opposition such an advantage. I THINK Nonnie is fooling us.

But Nonnie *never* tells anything but the truth, so I THINK FD just
might go Friday.

No, no. Nonnie didn't write an opinion, she just (foolishly) asked
for my THINKing.  Spock could do that in good conscience.  So I THINK
I was on to something and she just wanted to confuse the opposition.
I THINK that clears everything up.

I THINK my THINKer is getting sore. :-)