ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kristine Lania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:34:51 -0500
This is from U.S. College Hockey Online Notes and Quotes:

02-14-98 UMass-Amherst's Lovell Suspended Indefinitely

UMass-Amherst co-captain Tim Lovell has been suspended indefinitely by head
coach Joe Mallen, the Bangor (Me.) Daily News reported Friday. Lovell, the
Minutemen's leading scorer with 20 points in 22 games, was punished for an
unspecified violation of team rules.

"He violated a team policy," said Mallen. "When I came here five years ago,
I wanted to start a program based on integrity and class and a level of
discipline. Tim Lovell hasn't lived up to that. I think the guys on the
team are satisfied the right move has been made here."

Lovell, who transferred to UMass-Amherst after Maine's self-imposed
postseason ban following an investigation of NCAA violations, sat out last
season as an academic redshirt. His suspension means that neither of the
Minutemen's original co-captains is currently with the team: Jeff Norton
left UMass-Amherst two weeks ago to join the International Hockey League's
Detroit Vipers.